Thursday, July 26, 2007

"...whoever remembers first..."

One of the things about Italy that takes the most getting used to is...from the Anglo point-of-view...the almost complete lack of customer service, or the concept of customer service, or any apparent training in customer service, or any idea that customer service might be a desirable business practice.

Today, Angel called the heating repair man, who was here two weeks ago, and whom we have not heard from in the interim. The man left all the valves to our hot water radiators completely turned off at the source, because the main valve is broken, and on a day when the temperature outside was 95 F., the radiators were pouring out heat. He came once and succeeded in leaving us with no hot water in the faucets. Two days later a man who works for him returned to restore the hot water to the faucets and to say that the master valve needs replacing and will have to be ordered. We are now at today, when Angel called. Angel speaks Italian, so there was no misunderstanding what transpired.
  • Angel: Buon giorno, blah blah blah. I am calling to find out when you will be returning with the new valve.
  • Man: Oh, I am very busy, right now my schedule is full.
  • Angel: Can you fix the problem before the August holiday?
  • Man: No, that is not possible.
  • Angel: Then let's schedule an appointment for early September.
  • Man: Oh, if I put in my book now, I will forget about it. You call me in September.
  • Angel: Wait a minute. You or your worker have made two visits to my apartment, and if this isn't fixed before the cold weather [not an unreasonable thing for Angel to say, as we have experience from 2006 with A/C repairs taking five months], then we will have no heat in the apartment when the cold weather comes. Isn't this something you need to follow through on?
  • Man: I'll forget. You call me.
  • Angel: Well, I think you should be the one to call me and let me know what your schedule is.
  • Man: Well, whoever remembers first should call the other person.
  • Angel: Mille grazie, molto gentile, buona giornata. [If you don't understand that last part, that is the pro forma 'thank you very much, you are very kind, have a nice day'...with just the tiniest touch of sarcasm].
This is not an isolated incident. This is how things work. We will have to hound and call and pester and persist, and then maybe in early October before the first frost, we will see the replacement valve. I will draw no conclusions about lack of anything, I will make no sweeping generalizations, I am just reporting what happened. Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To this I absolutely must comment. My parents (this is their daughter, Sandra) are very adventurous for picking up and moving to another country in their retirement years. They are young yet, but have been around long enough to have certain expectations or at least be accustomed to certain levels of customer service and/or human decency.

Understand, both were in their professions project managers, leaders, and problem solvers. My father managed a help desk for years (among many other IT industry operational support teams) and my mother managed compliance violations for a financial securities firm...strictly customer service. Perhaps those of you reading this can now appreciate a little more how my mother's 'sigh' at the end of this entry is more of a beaten down semi-acceptance of this particular culture shock adjustment to which they have no power to change or will the Italian people to attempt to learn a customer service skill or two.

Hence, living the dream with the contradiction of daily life. Not bad for two retired people managers.